Standards & Regulations

CE marking and UKCA marking – what’s the difference, and why is it important?

Paul Barrett
Paul Barrett
June 28, 2023

What is CE Marking?

CE marking is a conformity marking that indicates a product has been assessed as meeting essential health, safety, and environmental requirements set out by European Union (EU) legislation. CE stands for "Conformité Européene," which translates to "European Conformity" in English.

CE Logo

Why Is CE Marking Important?

CE marking is required for certain products before they can be legally placed on the market within the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes the 27 member states of the EU, as well as Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein. It demonstrates that the product meets the applicable EU directives or regulations that govern its specific category.

CE marking of construction products

In the case of construction products, CE marking is not a quality mark; it signifies that a product complies with the harmonised standards relevant to its category, ensuring a minimum level of health, safety, and environmental protection.

The CE marking of construction products utilises a common, agreed set of European standard test methods and classification systems to provide the end-user with a way of comparing relative property performances.

This approach has standardised the key features of insulation materials (e.g. thermal conductivity, reaction to fire, mechanical characteristics etc.) and ensures an accurate comparison of products across the market is established.

How do products become CE marked?

To affix the CE marking, manufacturers or their authorised representatives must carry out conformity assessment procedures, which may involve testing, documentation reviews, or quality assurance processes. The specific requirements vary depending on the product and the relevant EU directives or regulations.

What is UKCA marking?

Whilst CE marks appear on many products traded in the European Economic Area (EEA), countries outside the EEA have their own conformity assessment markings or requirements.

Following its exit from the European Union in 2020, the UK introduced the UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) marking scheme,  intended for products placed on the market in Great Britain (England, Scotland, and Wales).

Rules around affixing the UKCA mark are broadly equivalent to CE marking. However, the assessment of conformity for UKCA marking must be undertaken by a UK-approved body.


Do construction products placed on the market in the UK need to be CE marked or UKCA marked?

At present, both CE and UKCA marks are accepted conformity markings for construction products placed on the market in Great Britain, and either (or both) marks may be used. CE marking requirements continue to apply to construction products placed on the market in Northern Ireland,

The UK government has stated that it intends to end recognition of the CE mark for construction products in Great Britain, and that a new UKCA mark will need to be affixed to construction products placed on the market in Great Britain from 30 June 2025. Further information is anticipated regarding how this process can be achieved for some construction products.

Do ROCKWOOL products carry the CE mark or UKCA mark? 

ROCKWOOL UK complies with all mandatory conformity-marking requirements applicable to products placed on the market in the UK.

All construction products within the scope of harmonised European standards and placed by ROCKWOOL on the UK market are CE-marked.

ROCKWOOL is keeping under review any forthcoming, mandatory requirements for UKCA marking.

See ROCKWOOLs statement on UKCA and CE product conformity.

Trade Range - Thermal Insulation 032 Range & Sound Insulation Range Group Shot

Article History

Our experts continually review and update our articles when legislation changes or new information becomes available. 

Current version: 3 - 3/10/23

First published: 28/6/2023