ROCKWOOL GROUP has been dedicated to stone wool production and application since 1937, We are the world leading stone wool manufacturer, providing world-class products and solutions to building structures.
The ROCKWOOL Foundation was established in 1981 by Claus Kähler and his five siblings. Each donated shares from their own holdings to ensure that the Foundation – at that time owning 25 percent of all shares – would be a major shareholder and have a major say in the future development of the ROCKWOOL Group. The Foundation is an independent and financially self-supporting organisation, which aims to generate knowledge that can help tackle problems facing society today. It achieves this through impartial scientific research into social and economic issues, and by carrying out practical interventions. The Foundation’s work is particularly focused on issues related to the sustainability of the welfare society. Research is conducted by both the ROCKWOOL Foundation’s Research Unit and specialist external researchers, while practical interventions are managed by the Foundation’s Interventions Unit.
In 1982, fibres with even higher temperature stability were created, forming the basis for today’s high-temperature, bio-soluble stone wool. The new development used the high-temperature properties of the Spinrock fibre developed in the 1970s to set new standards in the market.
In 1980, ROCKWOOL Isolation S.A. was established with a sales office in Paris and a factory in Saint-Éloy-les-Mines, and in 1985 the factory in Hiltrup, Germany was acquired, and the sales office in Austria was established. Offices were set up in Italy and in Spain in 1989. In 1988, ROXUL Inc. was established in Toronto, Canada. In the following years, four additional factories were built in the US and in Canada, and ROCKWOOL’s position grew significantly. With five factories and 1,000 employees, ROXUL has become North America’s largest stone wool producer, offering advanced building insulation, industrial and technical solutions.
Constantly optimising the ROCKWOOL mineral fibre technology and pursuing new ideas have always been key priorities for the Group R&D organisation. In the 1970s, this led to the development of a fibre that could replace asbestos to reinforce materials and products such as bitumen, paints, adhesives and brackets. Launched in 1974, Spinrock Fibres were a radical innovation for the 1970s, demonstrating how looking for healthier, more sustainable and environmentally friendly products has always been part of ROCKWOOL’s DNA.
In 1976, ROCKWOOL International A/S was set up as a holding company for the entire Group, during a decade that saw the business develop and expand significantly. In 1970, 50 percent of the shares of the Nederlandse Steewolfabrik in Roermond in the Netherlands were acquired, with the remaining 50 percent purchased in 1975. Also that year, 50 percent of the shares in ROCKWOOL AB are sold to the Swedish State, which already owned the other 50 percent. In 1977, the factory in Doense began operations and in 1978 the subsidiaries Grodania and Rockfon were set up. The end of the decade, 1979, saw the establishment of ROCKWOOL Limited in Bridgend, UK.
The development in the early 1970s of Spinrock fibres, which helped industries to replace asbestos,
led to ROCKWOOL’s recycling concept. Plant workers in Hedehusene found that old stone wool products could be recycled if they were ground and mixed into briquettes. The first briquettes were made in 1978 for Spinrock and in 1979, this process was tested and implemented in the plant in Hedehusene, creating the foundation for a comprehensive “circularity” concept. The recycling of ROCKWOOL Group’s own production waste was extended further in subsequent years, to cover recycling schemes for external construction waste and demolition waste.
In 1962, the Kähler and Henriksen families agreed to split and establish two new companies. Jens Nørgaard, later to become CFO of the ROCKWOOL Group, proposed a new company structure with the ROCKWOOL activities in one group and all others – sand pits, the aerated concrete business and Hasle tiles – in another group. The Henriksen family then chose the group they preferred and the company’s activities were split accordingly. On 1 January 1962, the name was changed to I/S Kähler & Co., with the Kähler family taking sole responsibility for the ROCKWOOL business.
In 1952, ROCKWOOL acquired the licence from Johns Manville in the USA to use spinners for drawing fibres. The new process used diabase rock instead of slag, creating fewer shots (small pieces of stone that have not been spun into fibres), lower densities and more robust fibres. The result was wool with a significantly higher and more homogeneous quality. In 1953, the 4-wheel spinner was introduced, dramatically increasing potential output, which has grown from 0.6 tonnes per hour in the early 1950s to over 20 tonnes per hour today. The year 1954 was a turning point, as production with added binder worked smoothly and the quantity of slabs produced overtook sewn mat products. Mat products however continued to be an important part of the product portfolio and in 1959, ROCKWOOL acquired a patent covering lamella mats for pipe insulation.
Deep knowledge of core technologies has always been key to ROCKWOOL’s success. To build on this, the company set up its own engineering department in Hedehusene, with five employees.
In 1954, ROCKWOOL established its first non-Scandinavian subsidiary in Germany. In 1958, the headquarters moved from Korsør to Hedehusene and expansion continued in 1959 with the opening of a second factory in Trondheim, Norway.