Neighbours helping neighbours.

Residential Donation Application

That’s always been the foundation of great communities.

It’s especially important during times of adversity. The recent flooding had a profound impact on many, and rebuilding can be an overwhelming process. It’s important to know that  others care. At ROCKWOOL, we do, and we want to make  a tangible difference.    

That’s why ROCKWOOL is working with the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary and City of Grand Forks to ensure registered residential flood victims in the City of Grand Forks, rural Grand Forks (Area D) and Christina Lake (Area C) are able to receive up to 20 bags* of free insulation. 

After all, home should be a place that’s safe, healthy, comfortable and resilient, because that helps families  thrive. And when families thrive, communities do as well.  

To qualify for free ROCKWOOL insulation, you must: 

  1. Be the homeowner of the affected residential property requiring remediation.
  2. Have a flood recovery number.
  3. Fill out the application for donated insulation and apply for a residential building permit. 
  4. Allow a ROCKWOOL home site assessment to determine the amount of insulation you need and qualify for.  

Please visit City Hall or the Regional District Flood Recovery Centre to pick up an application form, or download here.

Approval Process – ROCKWOOL Flood Assistance Donation Program

        1. Applicant goes to City Hall / Regional District of Kootenay Boundary (RDKB) fills out ROCKWOOL form for insulation donation.
        2. Applicant applies for a building permit at City Hall or RDKB.  The insulation donation application must be attached to the building permit.
        3. RDKB/City determines if applicant is on the registered flood victim list and is eligible for program, and fills out their portion on the form, signs and attaches to the City/Region copy of the building permit application. 
        4. City /RDKB advises applicant that they qualify and emails the form to ROCKWOOL at   Rockwool.insulation@rockwool.com  once building permit is issued. City/RDKB references building permit number on the insulation donation form. Building permit number is required on the donation application form to start the “order process”. 
        5. ROCKWOOL will contact applicant and advise times that we can come out and assess and set up “appointment”. (ie., Wed, Fri 1-2:30) 
        6. ROCKWOOL will go to applicant’s home and determine insulation needs.  This will determine the quantity of free insulation that the applicant qualifies for.  ROCKWOOL completes the application form and signs for to confirm house visit completed.  ROCKWOOL initiates internal order for insulation through Customer Service.
        7. ROCKWOOL Customer Service to process order.
        8. ROCKWOOL Customer service makes order – and provides Order # to Human Resources in Grand Forks. 
        9. ROCKWOOL advises applicant:
        10. a. Order is ready for pick up


          b. Order # and pick up date


        c. ID of registered home owner is required for pick up
    10. Registered home owner must pick up order at ROCKWOOL and sign for receipt of order on form. 


Grand Forks and Regional District of Kootenay Boundary Flood Recovery FAQ's

General Questions

How do I apply to get the free insulation?

The Region and the City have ROCKWOOL Donation Application forms.  Fill out the top section of the application, which has for Name, Address, Contact & Signature.  This form  must be signed by applicant and accompany your building permit application to the City of Grand Forks, or the Regional District Kootenay Boundary. 

The City / Region will fill out their section of the application form, sign and assign Building Permit number and send the donation form to ROCKWOOL. The building permit number will initiate the insulation donation process.

ROCKWOOL will contact you to determine how much product you need, and then place the order for fulfilment.  ROCKWOOL will call you to arrange a pick-up time at our factory.

Who is eligible?

All homeowners of a flood impacted residential dwelling in the City of Grand Forks or Rural Grand Forks Area D, as well as Area C, Christina Lake, are eligible. Owners must have a Flood Recovery #.

I rent a property that was impacted by the flooding - can I apply?

No. The application for the donation and the building permit must be completed by the property owner (in this case, the property owner).

Why are businesses not allowed to participate?

We are trying to help the residents of Grand Forks with the most basic need of rebuilding their homes to ensure a safe, comfortable environment for them and their families.  Our donation of product to all local residents represents a retail value of $200,000.

How long does program run?

The program will run for one year, until July 31st, 2019.

What is the value of the insulation?

Retail value of one bag is typically $45.00 – $50 + tax.  If you require and qualify for all 20 bags, that represents a retail value / savings of over $1,000.00.

Can I get the insulation without a building permit?

No.  It is a regulatory requirement by the City /Region to have a permit for all new construction, alterations, repairs and demolitions.

Why do I need building permit?

Building permits are required by the City and the Region for all new construction, alterations, additions, repairs, demolitions.  We are abiding by the regulatory requirements set by the City and the Region.  The issuance of a building permit number initiates the insulation donation process.

How do I apply for a building permit?

City of Grand Forks

250-442-8266 ext  #60151



Grand Forks Rural District (Area D) and Christina Lake (Area C)

 Regional District of Kootenay Boundary for the City of Grand Forks

(250) 442-2708  (Building Permit Office)

Web Address:  www.rdkb.com   

What if I already have a building permit, but have not bought insulation yet?

Go to the City / Region with your building permit and complete the ROCKWOOL Donation Application Form. The Region will complete their section of the application, fill in the building permit number, and forward to ROCKWOOL to initiate the process.

How long will it take for me to get insulation?

Once Rockwool receives the building permit information from the City/Region (typically 5 – 10 business days), we will contact the homeowner to set an appointment for a site assessment. The site assessment determines the amount of insulation the homeowner requires and qualifies for.  The maximum donation of insulation is 20 bags. It is estimated that orders will take ROCKWOOL approximately 5 - 10 business days to complete and prepare order for pick up following the site assessment from ROCKWOOL.  

Where do I pick it up?

Pick up of insulation will be at the Grand Forks ROCKWOOL factory. Rockwool will contact you as soon as your order is ready.

How do I calculate how much insulation I need?

ROCKWOOL will contact you once your building permit is issued and arrange a site assessment at your home to help determine how much product you need and qualify for.

Maximum quantity of insulation allowable is up to 20 bags of ROCKWOOL COMFORTBATT® for 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 construction.

What insulation products are available under the donation program?

ROCKWOOL is offering donation of up to 20 bags of ROCKWOOL COMFORTBATT® (exterior wall thermal insulation) for 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 construction.

I own a couple of properties that were impacted by the flood. Am I eligible for insulation donation on each property?

Yes, each flood impacted residential dwelling in the City of Grand Forks, rural Grand Forks (Area D) and Christina Lake (Area C) with a flood recovery number qualifies.